The Robinson Community Learning Center (RCLC) was started in 2001 as an off-campus educational initiative of the University of Notre Dame, in partnership with Northeast Neighborhood residents of South Bend. The RCLC staff are part of the Office of Public Affairs at The University of Notre Dame. Programs are overseen by a program advisory board comprised of residents, partners, ND faculty/staff, and students.
An estimated 600 participants come through the doors of the Center each week for regular programming, which includes classes for senior adults, English as a New Language classes, a preschool, an afterschool tutoring and enrichment program, a Youth Entrepreneurship Club, Talk With Your Baby classes, and even a youth Shakespeare Company! None of this could happen without the help of the nearly 500 college student volunteers that serve in RCLC programs each year.
The Center also partners with the community schools in the South Bend-Mishawaka area, with outreach that directly impacts 3,000 additional youth per year through the Take Ten violence prevention/conflict resolution program, the Robinson Shakespeare Company Outreach Initiative, and the educational programs at the ND Center for Civic Innovation. This level of outreach is only possible due to strong and intentional relationships with community partners and the shared resources of the University and community.
The Robinson Community Learning Center welcomes community and Notre Dame partners that strengthen the Northeast Neighborhood of South Bend through relationship building and educational opportunities. By promoting innovation and excellence, the Center builds individual capacity and enhances existing systems throughout South Bend.
- HOSPITALITY: Create a welcoming environment that serves as a hub for gathering and interaction among residents, community partners, and Notre Dame students, faculty, & staff.
- EDUCATION: Create access to enrichment activities that develop academic and life skills, providing mentoring & support at all ages.
- PARTNERSHIP: Support partners that provide education, health, and development programs that enhance the quality of life.
- CIVIC ENGAGEMENT: Foster relationships & engagement among the Center’s partners and participants to strengthen community.
- SUSTAINABILITY: Acquire resources necessary to achieve program goals.